The trial is being co-led by Stephen B. Kennedy, M.D., M.P.H., Secretary-General of the Liberia College of Physicians and Surgeons, Fatorma Baloy, Ph.D., Director, Liberian Institute for Biomedical Research, and H. Clifford Lane, M.D., NIAID’s Deputy Director for Clinical Research and Special Projects. The pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), based in Research Triangle Park, N.C., will supply the NIAID/GSK vaccine candidate, and the Merck Corp., headquartered in Kenilworth, N.J., will supply the VSV-ZEBOV test vaccine.
The NIAID/GSK Ebola vaccine candidate, also called cAd-EBOZ, is based on a harmless, recombinant chimpanzee cold virus, called chimpanzee adenovirus type 3 (cAd3) that is used as a carrier, or vector, to deliver segments of genetic material derived from the Zaire strain of Ebola virus. The Zaire species of the virus has caused the current Ebola outbreak in West Africa. The vaccine delivers one part of the Ebola genetic material to human cells, but the adenovirus vector does not replicate. Rather, the Ebola gene that it carries allows the cells of the vaccine recipient to express a single Ebola protein, and that protein prompts an immune response in the individual.
Note: By their own words…engineering of ebola and chimp virus to achieve an immune response. Their novel and emerging bioweapon capability is proven, they have willfully performed the act (Actus reus). As for Mens Rea…
England and Wales
- Direct intention: the actor has a clear foresight of the consequences of his actions, and desires those consequences to occur. It’s his aim or purpose to achieve this consequence (death).
- Oblique intention: the result is a virtually certain consequence or a ‘virtual certainty’ of the defendant’s actions, and that the defendant appreciates that such was the case.
- Knowingly: the actor knows, or should know, that the results of his conduct are reasonably certain to occur
- Recklessness: the actor foresees that particular consequences may occur and proceeds with the given conduct, not caring whether those consequences actually occur or not
- Criminal negligence: the actor did not actually foresee that the particular consequences would flow from his actions, but a reasonable person, in the same circumstances, would have foreseen those consequences