If they refuse to label their products, we can refuse to buy them. Money talks, and to large corporations it SHOUTS. If their bottom line begins to dwindle because people refuse to consume their products, eventually they will have to make a change.
Here are the top 10 things to remember when shopping for non-GMO foods.
Don’t buy into the malarkey that it’s impossible to avoid GMOs these days. It’s entirely possible when you stop playing by the rules laid out by Big Food!
Keep these things in mind when purchasing food:
- Stop looking for labels. Assume that if it isn’t labeled GMO-free, that it contains GMOs.
- Look for products that are USDA Certified Organic or Non-GMO Project Verified.
- Avoid all corn, soy, and canola that is not specifically labeled as non-GMO.
- Familiarize yourself with the abundant aliases for corn and soy.
- Buy ingredients, instead of food with ingredients.
- Cook from scratch.
- Stop shopping at the grocery store.
- Get to know your farmers personally.
- Preserve food while it’s in season.
- Don’t be wasteful. Use every single edible part to make your food dollars go further.